How to Use Amazon Ads To Sell Books: 9 Top Secrets To Know
Learn How to Use Amazon Ads To Sell Books. This comprehensive guide will provide you with step-by-step instructions and strategies to maximize your book sales on Amazon.
Have you been searching for a place where you can sell books online? Or are you already an Amazon seller looking for a way to increase your sales and make profits? Well, quite searching, today we’ll show you how to use Amazon ads to sell books.
Amazon is a powerful platform for reaching millions of potential book buyers around the globe. Also, it’s a good way to target customers browsing on Amazon which is the largest online retailer in the world.
By accessing this guild, you’ll have the right knowledge of How to Use Amazon Ads To Sell Books.
We’ll show you insights on the following:
- What is Amazon advertising for books
- Why use Amazon AMS ads to sell books?
- 9 step on How to use Amazon ads to sell books
- 9 Best practices on how to advertise on Amazon for books
- How to increase your rank as a best-selling author
- Amazon Kindle Publishing Platform
What is Amazon advertising for books?
You can increase your book sales by using Amazon AMS (Amazon Marketing Services). This term works for various Amazon marketing services for authors. How to Use Amazon Ads To Sell Books will change your sale history in a jiffy.
AMS was rebranded to Amazon Console in the year 2018. However, people still use both AMS advertising and Amazon Advertising in referring to the service.
On the other hand, Amazon Advertising is a digitized platform where sellers can make adverts and sell products.
This can be established by using keywords that allow you to showcase your books to your targeted audience. Also, it puts your books in front of people searching for topics related to your books.
Read Also : How much to spend on Amazon Advertising
List of Amazon books ads Campaign
Ever wondered how authors use Amazon ads to sell books and get their books seen? The answer lies in two powerful ad types
- Sponsored Product: These are ads that appear below Amazon product search results and at the bottom of the “also- -bought.” They are Ideal for; promoting specific books, driving targeted traffic, and increasing sales
- Product Display Ads: These ads pop up near the “Buy” button and on Kindle screensavers.
So, why does it matter where your ad shows up? Well, it’s all about visibility. For instance, Sponsored Product ads aim to catch potential customers during their search.
Why use Amazon ads to sell books?
If you’re an author the question isn’t just why use Amazon ads- it’s why wouldn’t you? Let me show you a reason why Amazon ads can be a game-changer in selling books.
- Global Stage: Currently, Amazon is a vest marketplace where readers and authors from every corner of the globe converge. By leveraging Amazon ads, you thrust your book onto a global stage, reaching readers in diverse cultures and languages. In the same vein, Amazon helps you helps you in telling a story that resonates universally rather than just selling a book.
- Precision Targeting: Imagine having the ability to put your book directly into the hands of those hungry for your genre. With Amazon ads, precision targeting is your secret weapon. You can connect with your audience based on interests, browsing history, and purchase behavior. Thereby, helping you ensure your book reaches the readers who crave it the most.
- Budget-Friendly: Amazon ads empower you with budget flexibility. You decide how much you want to invest, making it accessible for both emerging authors and seasoned bestsellers.
- Reliability and Trust Factor: Amazon is more than a marketplace; it’s a trusted ecosystem where readers feel secure making purchases. By using Amazon ads to sell books you automatically gain credibility.
- Visual Impact with A+ Content: Amazon allows you to showcase vibrant images, compelling descriptions, and engaging multimedia. These capture your audience’s attention with a visually stunning display that goes beyond words. Also, this leads to transforming potential readers into avid fans and customers.
- Data-Driven Insight: these ads provide you with unlimited data-driven insight in managing your brand. From tracking your ad performance and understanding your reader’s behavior etc.
How to use Amazon ads to sell Books
Are you embarking on the journey to boost your Amazon book sales through ads? Hold tight because understanding the ropes on how to use Amazon ads to sell books involves a bit of a learning curve. Here, we’ve compiled nine key pointers to help you kick-start your venture.
- Understand the Campaign Concept: In the realm of Amazon ads, think of each advertisement as a “campaign.” Set your maximum bid price, choose between product or keyword targeting, and for beginners, kick things off with “automatic” targeting.
- Utilize Product Targeting: Make your ad visible in related products suggested by Amazon or chosen by you by using product targeting. Specify your book’s category and related categories to maximize exposure.
- Master Keyword Targeting: Keywords are the key to visibility. Think about what your potential readers might type in the search bar. Also, you can use up to 1,000 keywords or keyword phrases. Start with at least 20 AMS keywords, and consider adding your own “manual” keywords for more control.
- Begin with a Low Budget: Start with a budget as low as $5 a day. Since you’re charged per click, your daily budget acts as a cap on spending. Increasing the budget doesn’t guarantee more visibility, so kick things off with a test campaign and be patient with the results.
- Craft a Winning Ad Copy: With a character limit of 150, your ad copy needs to pack a punch. Adhere to Amazon’s guidelines, and ensure your ad includes a compelling image from your book product listings.
- Optimize Your Cover and Description: Invest in a standout book cover design and ensure your book description is compelling from the get-go. Look at bestselling designs in your genre for inspiration and convince your audience to purchase every turn.
- Garner Solid Reviews: Reviews are crucial so before investing in ads, secure at least three solid reviews. Create an author page on Amazon to bolster your online credibility.
- Grasp the Metrics: Understand key metrics like clicks, impressions, click-through rate (CTR), and advertising cost of sales (ACOS). These metrics help gauge your campaign’s effectiveness and guide your optimization strategy.
- Evaluate Your Results: Low impressions? Focus on improving your targeting method. Low CTR? Evaluate your book cover and description against top performers. Overall sales lacking? Check if your ACOS is too high and explore ways to enhance performance.
Best Practices in Boosting Book Sales
So, you’ve got the basic down on how to use Amazon ads to sell books. Now, it’s time to dive into the best practices on how you to use Amazon to boost your book sales.
- Price Matters; Optimize your ACOS: Ensure your book’s metadata, especially pricing, is on point. Running ads for higher-priced books often results in better sales, as it allows for a lower Advertising Cost of Sales (ACOS). On average, some of the best-performing ads could be:
- Paperback: Above $12
- Hardcover: Above $19.99
- Ebook/Kindle Editions: Above $7
- Boost CTR; Make your ad ClickWorthy: Improve your Click-Through Rate (CTR) by fine-tuning your cover, the first sentences of your blurb, and adding your author page on Amazon.
Interestingly, lower-priced books tend to perform better in CTR, and specific targeting methods trump automatic targeting.
- Maximize Impressions; Get Noticed: Appear in front of your target audience by optimizing your targeting and budget. Higher impressions were associated with books priced above $12, with automatic and product targeting proving effective. More reviews and ratings above four stars also significantly increased impressions.
- Balance your Budget: Maintain a profitable ACOS based on your royalty plan. For standalone books, keep ACOS below 70%, while a series can tolerate 150% ACOS for the first book. Paperback and hardcover, non-fiction books, higher pricing, and strategic keyword targeting contribute to top-performing ACOS.
- Turn Clicks into Sales: Successful ads with higher conversions shared a few traits: automatic targeting, higher CTR, and books with more positive reviews and ratings. Convince potential readers to make that crucial purchase after clicking on your ads.
- CPC Insights: Keep an eye on your Cost Per Click (CPC). Lower CPC means more cost-effective clicks. On average, one in ten clicks results in a sale, so aim for an optimal CPC to maximize your return on investment.
- Craft Your Keywords: While Amazon suggests keywords, create your list based on similar authors, “also-bought” sections, your current metadata, and popular searches. Karen Myers emphasizes the importance of targeting authors whose readers are actively buying books similar to yours.
- Elevate Book Bundles with 3D Images: For book bundles, invest in professional 3D designs. The realistic visuals make your bundles more appealing to potential customers.
- Monitoring/Optimizing: Regularly review and tweak your performance to generate more sales while avoiding unnecessary costs. Set a schedule for check-ins, record data, and be ruthless in suspending keywords or elements not yielding results.
How to increase your rank as a best-selling author
The journey doesn’t end in boosting sales, now it’s time to skyrocket your status as a best-selling author.
However, this isn’t just about temporary sales boost; the key is continuous sales to rank as Amazon’s best seller.
Let’s break down some strategic moves for a long-term book marketing plan.
- Sustain Your Best Seller Rank: With targeted Amazon ads, you’re not aiming for a mere sales spike. Instead, you’re cultivating a steady stream of sales. This sustained momentum propels your Amazon Best Seller Rank higher in your categories, opening the floodgates to more visibility, readership, and, of course, sales. Consider continuous sales a cornerstone of your long-term success.
- Series Strategy; Focus on Book #1: If you’re the mastermind behind a series, direct your Amazon ad efforts towards the first book. Why? Because once readers are hooked on Book #1, you trigger a domino effect. More sales for Book #1 mean more readers diving into Book #2, then #3, and so on. It’s the strategic path to ensuring your entire series gets the attention it deserves.
- Kindle Unlimited Boost: For those navigating the Kindle Unlimited realm, Amazon ads hold an additional perk—more pages read. While it might not reflect directly on your Amazon Marketing Services account dashboard yet, increased pages read translate into more profit. It’s an added benefit that contributes to your overall success outside the confines of your AMS account
Now, let’s master some tools and statistics on how to use Amazon ads to sell books and rank best seller
- Mastering the Art of Amazon Ads
- Sponsored Products Ads: Target specific keywords and place your book right where interested readers are browsing. Think of it as a personalized book recommendation, but with superpowers.
- Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) Select: Make your book free for a limited time to reach a wider audience and generate buzz. Remember, free samples can lead to full-fledged fandom.
- Building your Author Brand:
- Social media is your megaphone: Engage with readers, share writing tips, and build a community around your work. Let your personality shine through!
- Guest blog and podcast appearances: Spread the word! Share your expertise and charm new audiences with insights, excerpts, and engaging stories.
- Don’t Neglect the Craft
- Write a killer book: This one’s a no-brainer. Quality content is the bedrock of any successful author’s career. So, hone your craft, polish your prose, and craft a story that deserves a standing ovation.
- Professional cover design and editing: First impressions matter. Invest in a cover that grabs attention and an editor who ensures your manuscript shines.
- Run author promotions and giveaways: Generate excitement and incentivize purchases with limited-time offers and reader appreciation events.
- Enroll in KDP Select Global: Expand your reach beyond national borders and tap into a global audience of bookworms.
- Collaborate with other authors: Cross-promotion is a powerful tool. Team up with fellow writers in your genre to reach new reader niches.
How to Access Amazon Kindle Publishing Platform
Amazon Kindle Publishing Platform helps authors on how to use Amazon to sell books. Also, it is a gateway for users to self-publishing glory that allows you to share your masterpiece with the world. Here are steps on how you can launch from the KDP (Kindle Publishing platform)
- Craft Your Masterpiece: Polish your manuscript and edit and proofread where necessary. Also, design a captivating cover that grabs attention and reflects your story.
More so, format your e-book, and follow KDP guidelines for a smooth upload.
- Create a KDP account: it’s free and accessible, ensure to set up an author profile and prepare to unleash your book to the world.
Also, add your book title and choose the territories where you want your book available for purchase.
- Pricing and Royalties: Set your e-book price: KDP offers a 70% royalty on sales in most territories, so choose a price that works for you and your readers.
- Select your royalty options: KDP offers two royalty structures: 70% for most sales or 35% for libraries and subscription programs. Weigh your options and pick your path!
How to use Amazon ads to sell books using Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP):
- Go to the browser and sign up through this link kdp.amazon.com
- Select the book you wish to advertise from the KDP bookshelf
- At this juncture, proceed by clicking “promote and advertise.”
- At the bottom of the “run an ad campaign.” Select a marketplace.
- Afterward, select “Create an ad campaign”
- Now sign in to Amazon ads by making use of your KDP credential.
- Q: What are Amazon ads for books?
A: Amazon ads for books are promotional tools that authors can use to showcase their books on the Amazon platform, reaching a wider audience of potential readers.
- Q: How do I start using Amazon ads for books?
A: To begin, log in to your Amazon advertising account, create a new campaign, and follow the step-by-step process to set up your ad targeting and budget.
- Q: Can Amazon ads help me sell more books in the long run?
A: Absolutely! Amazon ads, when used strategically, can generate continuous sales, boosting your book’s rank and visibility for sustained success.
- Q: Should I focus my Amazon ads on a book series or an individual book?
A: If you have a series, focusing on the first book is smart. This can create a ripple effect, driving more sales for subsequent books in the series
- Q: What is the ideal budget for starting an Amazon book ad campaign?
A: you can start small and later increase your budget; this allows you to test and adjust your strategy. So, you can start with a budget of $5 before proceeding with a higher bid.
- Q: How do I Choose Keywords for my Amazon Book ads?
A: If you are out for similar authors and titles, explore the “also-bought” section on the book page. Also, use tools like Merchant Words for Keyword research.
- Can Amazon ads be used for Kindle Unlimited books?
A: Yes, Amazon ads can be beneficial for Kindle Unlimited books. They can lead to more pages read, contributing to increased profits over time.
- Should I use automated or manual targeting for Amazon ads?
A: For beginners, starting with “automatic” targeting is recommended. As you gain experience, you can experiment with “manual” targeting for more control.
- How can I make my Amazon ads stand out?
A: Craft a compelling ad copy of fewer than 150 characters, use eye-catching visuals, and ensure your book cover and description are top-notch.
- Q: What is ACOS, and why is it important in Amazon Advertising?
A: ACOS stands for Advertising Cost of Sales. It’s crucial because it helps you measure the effectiveness of your ad by calculating how much you spend for every dollar earned in sales.
- Q: Can I run ads for book bundles on Amazon?
A: Yes, you can run ads for book bundles. Consider creating 3D designs for your bundles to make them visually appealing to potential customers.
- Q: How often should I monitor and tweak my Amazon ads?
A: Regularly review your ad performance, aim for weekly or bi-weekly check-ins, and make adjustments to optimize your campaigns for better results.
- Q: What is the significance of CTR in Amazon advertising?
A: CTR, or Click-Through Rate, is vital as it indicates how well your ad converts impressions into clicks. Higher CTR suggests that your ad is resonating with your audience.
- Q: Can I use Amazon ads to promote my paperback and hardcover books?
A: Absolutely! Amazon ads can be used to promote paperback and hardcover books, contributing to increased sales and visibility.
- How can I improve impressions for Amazon ads?
A: Price your book above $12, focus on automatic and product targeting, and ensure your book has positive reviews and ratings to boost impressions.
- Why is having an on-target book cover and description crucial for Amazon ads?
A: Your book cover and description are the first things potential readers see. A compelling design and enticing description increase the likelihood of clicks and purchases.
- Q: How long does it take to see results from Amazon book ads?
A: Results can vary, but be patient. Amazon counts sales in a 14-day window, and it may take up to 90 days to receive payment for sales made through ads.
- Q: Can I use Amazon ads to promote non-fiction books?
A: Absolutely! Amazon ads are versatile and can effectively promote both fiction and non-fiction books. Also, make sure you tailor your targeting and messaging accordingly.
- Q: Is it essential to have an author page on Amazon for effective book advertising?
A: Yes, having an author page adds credibility to your profile. It helps readers learn more about you and discover other books you’ve authored.
- Q: Are there any risks associated with Amazon ads that I should be aware of?
A: Ads may not be successful if your ad copy is misleading if your ad appears on pages unrelated to your target audience, or if elements on your book page, like the description or reviews, are not compelling. Regular monitoring helps identify and address such issues.
Behind any successful book is an untold story. By following the secrets and best practices on “How to use Amazon ads to sell books!” You’ll just start your journey as an Amazon book seller by using these tools discussed in today’s article.
Also, don’t be in a rush to sell your books on Amazon, just follow this guild carefully and choose a strategy that works best for you.
Remember, an Amazon ad is a tool that helps you connect with potential customers and people who are interested in your book. So, ensure you do detailed keyword research before starting your ads.
I hope this article helps you by providing the right knowledge on how you can use Amazon to sell books. Still have questions, do well to send a comment.